What you really didn't want to know about me but I'm telling you anyway
I know, I know... Two entries in two days, I'm destroying my reputation. I am lifting an idea from dancingbrave here - though it's one she lifted from countless email surveys. You know the kind I mean. Difference is that here, I don't ask all of my friends to email back and answer the same questions. I figure not everyone will want to answer the same questions - let 'em figure out their own!
- My real name is LeiLani and no, I'm not Hawaiian. I didn't intentionally set out to harm my parents before I was born (after doesn't count), so other than them having bizarre tastes, I don't know why they chose to name their blue-eyed-blond daughter by an exotic name no one could pronounce, particularly since we're from the midwestern US originally.
- I have been married twice, disastrously. Each was a disaster for different reasons. One man was a batterer, one was a batterer wannabe (the latter I could have taken but chose to toss him unceremoniously on his butt instead.) I survived and am doing quite well as a single person, thank you. Neither of them could hold a job, so I supported myself, them, and four children. These days, I am actively NOT looking for a Significant Other.
- With reference to above - no, I am not into women except as friends.
- Ironically, I am a moderator on a new on-line singles board - fun place, and one I agreed to help with because it's the brainchild of a friend. I asked several times, "Are you sure you want me for this???" He insisted that he's seen me handle a wide variety of people in a wide variety of situations (we've worked together previously in a professional association) and he thinks I can do it. I have my doubts but I'll certainly do my best. I just feel a little like a voyeur sometimes, particularly since the membership is mostly the age of my kids. Some gorgeous kids there, though, if half of their photos are legit. However, imho said friend blows the other guys out of the water in the looks department.
- I have painted several award-winning watercolors but only because my art instructors insisted that watercolor was the 'best' medium. I hate it, prefer oils and stopped painting altogether for several years, at least partly because of being forced to use something I didn't like in the pursuit of what should have been my artwork. I recently picked up oils and a canvas - and then my daughters moved back in, which eliminated any opportunities to paint any time soon. The paints and canvas have been relegated to a spot under my bed until further notice.
- When my last child moved out, my idea of the Empty Nest Syndrome was to buy a bottle of bubbly and celebrate, sleep when I wanted to sleep (except as work-related), decorate by my tastes and listen to my music. Then my girls moved back in and all of the above was reversed. I'll forgive them, though, because youngest daughter brought along my granddaughter, who is a source of both joy and sweet revenge.
- My favorite food is not static - it changes with my mood. And while occasionally it rotates to include chocolate, for the most part it is something non-sweet. I'm partial to mou gou gai pan, chili rellenos with cheese sauce, lasagña, homemade bread, rare steaks smothered in grilled mushrooms, Cobb salad, and turkey with dressing. Not all at once, mind you! However, while I like my own version of potato salad, I don't generally like the sort other people make. And I abhor Spanish rice.
- Dirty little secrets nobody knew until now:
- I swear in public I can't write romance, but have done so for friends. (Albeit badly.)
- To me, the sexiest thing about any man is his voice, and particularly his laughter. If a man has no sense of humor, I won't give him a second look, no matter what he looks like.
- I still like men. Darn it.
- Yes, I am a skillful player of mind games. Get over it. It comes with being a mom and being raised in a fundamentalist church.
- I am the world's worst money manager. Always have been, always will be. But I will also give the shirt off of my back to help anyone I know who's in need, and have never once regretted it.
- I put on a tough exterior for the most part, but cry at sappy movies.
- While my favorite genres are sci-fi/fantasy and action/adventure (in no particular order), I also take guilty pleasure in watching chick flicks with my kid sister.
- I have written erotica under two pseudonyms.
- I once fell in love with a married man - one of a few serious regrets of my life, and a mistake I will never make again. I walked away and never looked back, but I don't know who I hate more for it - him or myself.
- When I was in high school, I played eleven different musical instruments, ranging from violin to piano to accordian to flute to bell lyre.
Before - After
In the grander scheme of things, no soul can truly be replaced. Each one of us has a place in the universal tapestry. We each contribute our own color and texture. When one thread is snipped too soon, it distorts all the threads around it. Other lives can unravel and tear. If the wrong thread is ripped away, the whole fabric of life becomes dangerously fragile.
- LeiLani, aka Radiogurl aka Bright Opal (1957 - )
0 told me what they thought
101 Things About Me
my last five entries