Radiogurl a la Carte

Thursday, Oct. 14, 2004
Doncha Love It


There, I feel better now.

Okay, I lied. I don't feel better.

I went to this morning's meeting, which lasted until well after 1PM. I needed to cover it for the news and I'm glad I did, though heaven knows I've been pushing so hard this week that my effectiveness as a news reporter has been seriously compromised. This news director needs an editor, because I'm working on the last frayed remnants of what used to be my rope. I reached the end of it and plummeted to the ground somewhere around Tuesday night, and all I've got of it now is some ratty, frayed fibers and a bad case of rope burn.

I was using Pipeboy's truck today and it was nearly out of gas; so on my way back to the studios after the meeting, I stopped to put gas in the truck. Walked into the convenience store, walked back out, and was pumping gas when I heard a disgustingly cheerful voice yell, "Hellooooo!!" I turned around to see Tall Guy loping across the parking lot. I didn't see him until he was literally chasing me down to chat. As in, "I just wanted to say hi!"

Ummm... Hello? This man is either a complete idiot, has raised oblivion to an art form, is all about the chase, or has a death wish. The week after I decide I am walking away because he doesn't want me, he's there every flipping time I turn around, everywhere I turn around. I mean, granted, this is a small town, but it's not that small. And unless Tall Guy really, really didn't get my painfully obvious hints that I was interested (and his perfect expressions of disinterest), he should by rights be avoiding me with all the determination I intended to avoid him.

Or maybe I'm the one oblivious here, because I really, really, REALLY DON'T GET MEN!!!!

Needless to say, I didn't stand around for long. I didn't have the dubious luxury at the time anyway. I had to head in to work, having a whopping hour and a half to write at least one coherent news story from the meeting I'd just attended, and get my weather and other show prep completed, and go on the air. Upon arrival at the studios I discovered I had since received emails, faxes, and phone calls that arrive in my absence, containing additional news stories I had to write. Recording and producing them wasn't going to happen. Tough noogies. I went on live at 3:30 on the dot, and kept running back and forth between my newscasts and live stuff to write more stories. Let's not discuss how many I reported where I printed the unfinished story and had to ad-lib the missing parts.

Gotta love small-town radio where one person is the jock, news everything, and announcer of lost and found dogs.

Oh, and just for fun: I was supposed to be off work tonight at 5. Trouble is that during the meeting this morning, I got a personal invite to a key community meeting at the country club. So much for going home after the news. I went straight from my final broadcast, directly to the country club - arriving too late for the meal they served, naturally. Collected my news content, set up a separate interview next Wednesday morning, schmoozed for maybe five minutes, and talked briefly to the college board president. (She's a brilliant and very personable woman. If we lived nearer we might become real friends. If either of us had time.)

And here I am. I finished early tonight. It's only 11PM, so only did fourteen hours today. What a thrill!

I talked to my friend in Indianapolis about the idea of my packing it in, giving up and taking a Greyhound there, but she and hubby are in the early stages of purchasing a home, so she asked me to hold off.

Fine, so we're back to indentured servitude. Guess if I've made it this far, I might as well stick it out for a while longer. I'm glad for her and I'm not going to impose. Then I'm no better than the ones who exist to draw their livelihood from me.

I keep gritting my teeth and reminding myself that everything happens for a reason. I don't know what that reason is, but I am guessing something has to happen before I'm granted my freedom. If I wait long enough I'll be able to retire. Too bad there won't be any Social Security by then.

Got home and daughter handed me the baby while she took a shower, so I was trying to juggle an 18-month-old granddaughter and write news copy, then PRODUCE audio news. On top of that, my disgustingly expensive audio editor took yet another nosedive, to the point I finally uninstalled it and waved buh-bye. Thank God for Source Forge. Took me about fifteen seconds to find free software that did an equally good job, is more flexible, and took up vastly less space on my hard drive.

I took pictures of the baby this morning and will try to get them posted here tomorrow. Unless I have to work late again. Which is pretty likely, if the rest of the week is any indication.

Before - After

In the grander scheme of things, no soul can truly be replaced. Each one of us has a place in the universal tapestry. We each contribute our own color and texture. When one thread is snipped too soon, it distorts all the threads around it. Other lives can unravel and tear. If the wrong thread is ripped away, the whole fabric of life becomes dangerously fragile.
- LeiLani, aka Radiogurl aka Bright Opal (1957 - )